The New Year brings the coldest months and some of the biggest challenges for homeowners, including high heating bills, frozen pipes and slick driveways and neighborhood roads.
It can also be the worst time of year for damage to your roof. It’s a good idea to take a few simple steps to minimize roofing problems that can lead to damaged shingles and leaks and may even require a new roof:
- Remove Any Snow Fall. Just a few inches of snow will create a heavy load for your roof to bear.
- Be Aware of Ice. Ice can be heavy and pose a threat to your roof, causing damage and creating leaks.
- Fix Your Flashing. Broken flashing can allow snow and icy water to enter your roof, leading to potential leaks inside your home.
- Check Your Gutters Regularly. If you have a problem with ice and snow, your gutters are usually the first place that you’ll see problems. Check them regularly for build-up and ice dams. In general, if you see icicles hanging from your gutters, you likely have a problem, and the area needs clearing.
- Don’t Underestimate Wind Damage. Heavy storms and winds are common in the colder months, and they can cause problems, too. After strong winds, inspect your roof for any signs of damage. Look for broken or missing shingles and do a general review of the area.
- Keep an Eye on Your Attic. The state of your attic is directly linked to the condition of your roof. If you don’t go up there often, you may miss signs of leaks and other issues until they’ve caused many problems, You also need to ensure your attic has excellent ventilation and insulation.
- Clear Any Debris. Debris can wreak havoc on your roof, especially in the winter! Before storms start to roll in and snow comes down, be sure to check your roof and surrounding areas (such as gutters and downspouts) for debris. You want them to be completely free of leaves, stones, and any other loose items that can accumulate on the surface.
Need help with winter roof maintenance? Under the experienced leadership of Matt Garrett, Garrett Construction and Roofing has been serving the East Tennessee area since 2005. We are a licensed General Contractor and our general services range from full residential and commercial construction projects to remodeling, painting, drywall, roofing and gutters. We also help with disaster recovery with experienced teams available to address fire and water damage.
CONTACT GARRETT CONSTRUCTION AND ROOFING TODAY | KNOXVILLE’S ROOFING EXPERTS FOR ALL TYPES OF WEATHER